CHAI ‘s essential medicine program (ORS-ZINC) aim to reduce morbidity and mortality related to diarrheal disease among children under 5 years of age. Through the deployment of new and improved approaches to scale up ORS/ZINC for diarrhea treatment through public & private sector .
Madhya Pradesh is one of the six worst hit states in India affected with diarrhea. Approximately 200 million cases of diarrhea in children under 5 years are reported every year. Due to diarrhea, other pediatric diseases get augmented which also adds to the vicious cycle of malnutrition. Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat accounts for 43 % diarrheal deaths in India. Diarrheal disease is the second leading cause of death in children under five years old, and is responsible for killing 1.5 million children every year.
The Government of India endorses combined use of Zinc Tablet and low osmolality Oral Rehydration Salts (ORS) as one of the most cost-effective health interventions and has issued directives and guidelines to ensure utilization of zinc and ORS for the treatment of diarrhea The second largest cause of child mortality in India is diarrhea.
The Annual Health Survey 2010 – 11 data for Madhya Pradesh shows that about 15.2 per cent of under-five children suffered from diarrhea. As per latest SRS 2011 Infant mortality rate is very high (67) in Madhya Pradesh from national (50) and Mortality rate under 5 year age group is very high (89) in Madhya Pradesh from the national( 69) . As per the population census 2011, the population of under 5 years of age of Madhya Pradesh constitute 14% means of total population means approx. population under 5 year age would be approx. 8715217 and child death due to diarrhoea in Madhya Pradesh is 15% it means total approx. diarrhea projected cases in Madhya Pradesh is around 1307283.
- Training– The front line workers trainings are preceded by half day orientation program for the district level health and ICDS officials. Then The Asha ,ANMs will be trained in batches by the block coordinators and each block coordinator is responsible for three blocks FLWs training.NRHM (M.P.) already conducting Training for front line health worker,But CHAI MP developed a small & specific module for ASHA on Diarrhoea .All BCs are using this module successfully in field level for ASHA’s trainings.
- Field Visit– Every BC will be given a mandate to meet a front line health workers like ASHA/ANM/AWW . In one quarter BC will meet each ASHA in his block .Along with one to one(FACE to FACE)interaction in order to review and reinforce messages.
- Meetings – The Block coordinators will also assigned to attend meetings and different events happened in block or /village level .Like VHSC meeting, Gram sabha ,sector level meetings, BC have to participate actively in different meetings.
- In Tikamgarh, 6 months Anushka Sharma was suffering from diarrhea since a long time. Due to proper doses of Zinc and ORS, her life has been saved. Read here the full story. Tikamgarh_6 years Anushka Sharma_Zn ORS doses_Samarthan
- This Arogya Kendra in Tikamgarh is doing exceptionally great job. The credit for this goes to the Asha Karyakarta Smt. Maya Patel. Read here to know how Maya manages the Arogya Kendra. Tikamgarh-Asha worker_Arogya Kendra_Samarthan
- Learnt how a Asha karyakarta from Pardiya village, Baxwaha block. saves the life of her village people from diarrhea with the help of Samarthan’s Block Coordinator Mr. Ashish Shrivastava, by spreading awareness about diarrhea prevention and also ensuring the supply of Zn-ORS in the CHC. Read the full story here. Baxwaha_Asha worker_save villagers_Zn ORS_Samarthan .
- Khedar is a remote village in Damoh block. The nearest PHC at Jabera is around 40 km away from Khedar, making life of villagers difficult in case of emergency. But the Arogya Kendra in Khedar village is doing some incredible job. The team of four members which includes Supervisor, ANM, ASHA and ASHA helper are working day and night to help the people of Khedar village getting access to primary health care. Read here to know how the team of 4 people are helping people of Khedar village. Damoh_Khedar village_arogya kendra_Samarthan