Vacancy for the position of Programme Manager – WASH
Apply by 10 December 2011
Project: Ensuring sustainability of Water and Sanitation initiatives at Sehore
Samarthan has been implementing a project of Water Aid India for several years in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh for the past 6 years. We now seek to ensure the institutionalisation of the best practices developed in the past few years on a small scale and advocate for sustainability of WASH services within the district. Along with this we seek to strengthen the campaign of CSOs on WASH rights in order to bring water and sanitation as an important issue at the state level. This involves generation of research based evidence for effective advocacy, capacity building of CSOs as well as government staff and documentation support on WASH issues.
Samarthan seeks a passionate development professional with knowledge of hygiene and sanitation issues, programs and policies. The candidate should possess managerial and stakeholder relations skills, and should be able to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding work environment. Experience working on specific relevant issues such as public health, safe drinking water, Nirmal Gram panchayats, water security is considered a plus. The position is for a period of two years but can be made permanent if candidate shows good performance. The location is Bhopal with frequent visits to Sehore.
The candidate will be responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring of field level operations & coordination with partner organizations as well as government departments
- Identify and provide support to Panchayats to develop community based operation and maintenance system of piped water supply supply
- Plan activities for deepening action in already intervened villages of Sehore
- Strengthen capacities of the programme functionaries of TSC and potential Panchayats to effectively access NGP status and ensure sustainability of NGP in the awarded Gram Panchayats (NGPs)
- Plan for establishing a block resource centre to support Panchayats in achieving NGP status and to engage in district level advocacy
- Establish a knowledge centre on the issues of WASH for evidence based advocacy and supporting WASH campaign at state level
- Carry out research studies and surveys during the ongoing project to generate evidence for campaigns and advocacy
- Coordinate the overall activities of the project in the district; provide leadership to the staff and ensuring that the project activities are completed and the targets are achieved on time
- Programmatic and financial monitoring of the activities being carried out
The ideal candidate should be a Post Graduate in Social Sciences/Social Work/Rural Development/ Management e with at least 5-7 years relevant experience in planning and managing development projects relating to WASH. of which at least 2 years should be as a senior programme person in a reputed NGO/ Academic institution.
Good command over English (spoken and written) is essential. The candidate should also have working knowledge of Hindi.
The salary for the position is Rs 30, 000
How to Apply
Interested candidates may send a cover letter explaining their suitability for the above mentioned position (in about 500 words) along their CV (along with three references) to firstname.lastname@example.org